Friday, May 22, 2009

Poem Found

I probably wrote this about a year ago. The original was lost in a move, perhaps it's still at my parent's house somewhere, so both this poem and the other one by the same name on this blog are "remake" attempts of the original. Which one do you like better?


Puddle Jumping in the Rain


The pavement is scorching my bare feet
As the sun sizzles my shoulders.
The air is thick and sticky.
A stillness and quiet are all around

In the distance, the sky is rumbling.
We will have some reprieve
On this sweltering summer’s day.

A gentle breeze disrupts the tops of the trees
They sway and whisper
Sshhhh, sssshhhhh, ssssshhhhhhh

Clouds encroach upon a spotless blue
Growing ever darker as they move
The sky grumbles louder
As the trees have the humidity blown from their leaves

The first raindrop pelts my shoulder
I look skyward and receive another upon my forehead
Drip, drop, drip, drip, drop
Upon my cheeks and on my arms

A flash of light pierces the sky
And a crash of booming thunder follows
The heavens open wide
And I stand there upon the now steamy driveway
Letting the water cascade over my body

Puddles pool on the pavement like dew upon Tulip Tree leaves
And I watch them fill
As water showers down from the sky
Plink, plunk, plink, plink, plunk

The rain washes over my back and down my legs to my feet
Which no longer burn on the pavement.
The puddles invite me to play
I jump from one to the next

Water splashing upon my shins and calves
Splash, splish, splash, splish, splash, splash

Puddle jumping in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment